May 8, 2016

An update on some empties | May 2016

Hello there!


After clearing out my dorm and moving out for the summer, I collected my empty products and snapped a few photos before sending them to the bin. Yes, I am the crazy blogger that holds on to her empty beauty products! Here is what I have used up recently:


Sally Hansen: Insta-Dri Topcoat || This is one of my favorite topcoats. That should be obvious, seeing as how I managed to use up two before I finished my first year! This topcoat is super glossy and makes your manicure look like you went to the salon for gel nails. It's very inexpensive, and it works really well. The best part about it? It dries within seconds, so you don't have to wait hours to touch things and you don't have to worry about bumping your nails and messing up your hard work! The only thing that is slightly disappointing about this topcoat is that, after a month or two, the formula begins to thicken up. If you don't mind repurchasing this topcoat often, however, it might become one of your favorites too! [RP: 8.00]

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Polish: Nail'd It || I have had this polish for a long time, and I have always loved the color and the creamy formula. But in the midst of moving the polish exploded in my bag, and after that the polish got really gooey. While I am slightly annoyed that this polish had to be a casualty of moving, I know that OPI has a shade called Lucky Lavender that is almost identical. If I want another dusty pink polish I'll pick it up. [RP: 3.00]

Nutra Nail Bullet-Proof Strength Formula Treatment || This was an underwhelming treatment. After using it for a few months I still did not feel like my nails were significantly different in any way. I would much rather use my Healthy Hoof Cream for nails. It strengthens nails and repairs cuticles, and it is half the cost! This treatment felt like an extra step in my regimen that I just did not need. [RP: 7.00]


Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer: Fair || I have used this concealer for a long time, and I still think that it is a good everyday concealer. Before discovering the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer, I used this concealer under my eyes and to highlight. Now, however, I use it to clean up after I use my bronzer and contour. It's a really lightweight concealer that is good at brightening and highlighting the skin. [RP: 6.00]

Maybelline Master Prime Primer: Redness || When I was testing out a lot of primers, I came across this one and wanted to test it because the concept really reminded me of the MUFE primers. While I don't think that it fought redness very well I liked it just the same; for me, primers play a big role in my makeup routine because they have to keep oils at bay and keep my makeup looking fresh all day. This primer is very good at smoothing out my skin, but doesn't have that silicone feel; nevertheless, I felt like this primer did a good job at increasing the longevity of my makeup. However, it wasn't life-changing, and I don't think that I would repurchase. [RP: 10.00]

Urban Decay Setting Spray: B6 Vitamin Infusion || I was always very skeptical about setting sprays, mainly because I thought that the whole concept was a complete scam that cosmetics companies created to sell water for thirty dollars. However, I got roped into trying this setting spray at a Sephora and it completely changed my mind. Although this setting spray is marketed as a "prep spray," I used it before and after I applied my makeup, to both prep my skin and set my finished look. I really think that it improved the wear-time of my makeup look, and kept my skin from feeling overly oily or from looking dull throughout the day. I would absolutely grab this setting spray again. [RP: 15.00]

Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation: True Ivory || This is a fantastic foundation, and I cannot believe that it is discontinued in America. This foundation is really lightweight but has buildable coverage, so I could wear this every day and not feel like I was wearing a mask. It wore really well throughout the day and looked really natural. If you can still find it, I would recommend grabbing it before it's gone! [RP: 6.00]

Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer: Fair || A friend told me to pick this up, and I am so glad that she did. This has quickly become my all-time favorite concealer! It has really good coverage but doesn't feel heavy on the skin. It also highlights the skin beautifully and wears really well. Some people don't like the sponge applicator, but I don't mind it and I think that it works well to distribute the product evenly across my face. The only qualm I have with this product is that the sponge holds a lot of product, and because of this I go through these concealers very quickly. It's not an expensive concealer, but if you pick one up you may find that you will finish it fast! Nevertheless, I love this concealer and I use it every day. [RP: 9.00]


Physician's Formula Sexy Booster Blush: Natural || I didn't finish this product, but if you look at this blush you will see that it was clearly time to send it to the trash. This blush was beautiful because it added a gorgeous glow to the skin, but I used it more as a highlight than as a blush. However, if you aren't careful this product can end up looking a little chalky on the skin. The best part about this product is that it smells amazing, and the scent lasts on your skin. But if you don't like blushes with a lot of shimmer or highlighters in general you may not like this product. I don't think I will pick up this blush again, but it was a nice product and a good subtle blush from the drugstore. [RP: 12.00]

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder: Sandstorm || For those of you who have read my blog for a long time, you will know that this powder is my all-time favorite. I have used this powder for years, and it never disappoints; it's amazing for someone with oily skin or someone who wants their makeup to last on the skin. It doesn't make your makeup look thick or cake-y, and it sinks into the skin and wears so well throughout the day. I never feel like this powder is breaking up on my skin or is sliding off my face. I would honestly pay big bucks for this powder, but it is five dollars! There is no reason not to buy this powder, so put it on your shopping list and grab it the next time you are at the drugstore. [RP: 5.00]


Wet N Wild Eyeshadow Trio: Walking on Eggshells || I never thought that I would finish an eyeshadow palette, but this trio was always on my vanity, and I ended up reaching for it every day. I didn't completely finish the brown shade, but I thought it was time that this palette and I said goodbye. In the end, the top and bottom shades ended up shattering, which is why there is a small chunk of white shadow next to the palette. Oops! But I loved this trio and thought the colors were beautiful and so pigmented. For three dollars I think this is a must-have in anyone's makeup collection. [RP: 3.00]

Covergirl Remarkable Mascara || I used this mascara for a long time, and this was my go-to waterproof mascara for a while. I liked the bristle brush because it grabbed every lash and was very lengthening. I didn't notice flaking or smudging after a long day, and overall I thought it was a really nice mascara. It was not a life-changing product, and I think it is now discontinued, but if you can find it and you need a low maintenance waterproof mascara this is a good one to try. [RP: 5.00]

Maybelline The Falsies Mascara: Black Drama || The Falsies range is a fantastic line of mascaras from Maybelline, so these mascaras never fail me. I tried the black drama mascara on a whim and really liked the rich black color and the way this mascara held a curl. It's a good go-to mascara if you're in a bind, and the "Falsies" line has a ton of different mascaras to try. [RP: 6.00]

Revlon Bold Lacquer Mascara || This mascara was a bit of a disappointment. I had heard great things about it, and really wanted to like it, but when I applied it I found that it just looked like my natural lashes were darker. The mascara didn't hold a curl, and it didn't thicken my lashes, which is usually what I look for in a mascara. If you want a very natural-looking lash, I would point you in the direction of this product. But I also think that there are mascaras on the market that can give you a natural eye and still do a lot more than this mascara. There are so many other options, so I would not repurchase. [RP: 7.00]

Physician's Formula Lash Boosting Eyeliner || This is one of my favorite liquid eyeliners for a few reasons. One, it is a rich black formula that lasts all day, and doesn't smudge or run down my face. Two, this product comes in the form of a pen, so it is super easy to use and makes perfecting the cat-eye flick a total breeze. The nib on this eyeliner is a brush tip, not a felt tip, so it won't fray over time and creates a sharp line with every application. And three, it's super inexpensive and lasts such a long time! You could definitely keep this in your makeup bag for six months before it dries up. The only note I will make about this product is that I do not think that the serum in this eyeliner significantly changed my lashes; I didn't notice that they got longer or thicker with the continued use of this product. Other than that, this liquid eyeliner is amazing! It is a great liner for makeup novices, but is also fantastic for anyone who just wants a great liquid liner from the drugstore. I would recommend it to anyone.

Those are all of my empty products! I have a few more products that I am currently finishing up, so you should see a post about them before I leave for my holiday. 

What products have you used up recently?

xx BB