July 19, 2016

Soap & Glory's The Perfect Ten // the perfect palette project

Hello there!


In the world of makeup, everyone is always on the hunt for the "perfect palette." And finding the best one can be tough; some people want all neutral shades, some want the perfect combination of matte and shimmer shadows, and some want bright colors. For me, I want a palette that has a mix of shadows that are pigmented and long wearing, in a palette that I can easily travel with. But I also don't want to spend a ton of money on a palette. So I thought I would do some digging and find a few palettes that haven't been talked about a lot, or are new to the market, and let you know what I think. The first one I wanted to talk about is from Soap & Glory, which is a UK brand that has a lot of amazing products. Their new palette, called "The Perfect Ten," was created to be the perfect combination of colors in one palette. So I thought I would grab one and see if it met my expectations of the "perfect" palette.

 

First, the packaging is great. Like the Lorac palettes, the packaging is slim, so it is very compact and great for travel. The palette comes with ten shadows from the "Lid Stuff" collection, which are known for being pretty great. What I liked about this palette was that the colors were not like the shades that you would find in other popular palettes. While of course there are some neutral shades, what sold me on this palette was the choice of colors that were unusual and really unique. The overall undertone of this palette is very pink, so if you like pink-toned shadows but you want to stray from shades like those in the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette, this might be a really good choice. I love being able to mix in unique shades with neutral shadows for a really interesting look. The palette offers a choice of light shades, as well as a few deep, smokey colors, so you have a lot of variety and a lot of choices.

rp. 20.00
I think the color selection in this palette is really unique. While, at first glance, it might seem as though the shades in this palette don't all quite work together, they really do! I wanted to talk about each color so you know what you'd be working with. I think these shades can make for some amazing color combinations!

moon mist // This shade is the perfect shadow for the inner corner. It's bright and sparkly without being glittery, and it creates a strong highlight that isn't harsh. This shade definitely has some pink undertones, so it is great when paired with a rose shadow on the lid or a purple smokey eye. I think, personally, that this color is a bit strong under the brow, but if you like an intense highlight under the brow this would be perfect. 

minky // This shadow is perfect to throw on the lid and go; it's a soft pink, but it has a rose gold tone that makes it different from other light pink shadows. This shade is not super intense, so you can build up the color and make it more metallic or keep it soft and shimmery on the lids. If you want a strong metallic shade, however, this may not impress you, but it is buildable and really beautiful swept across the lids. 

nudecomer // I think that matte mauve shades are so hard to come by, especially in the drugstore, and that's why I love this shadow. Unlike most palettes, which have the standard medium matte brown shade, this palette includes much more unique matte shades in different rose and mauve tones; I think this is why this palette stands out from other drugstore palettes. Not only that, but this palette comes with two great matte shades, so you can take this palette with you when you travel and you won't feel like you need to bring another matte shadow to blend out your eye look. This shade itself is perfect for blending just above the crease because it has pigment but it won't overpower your other shadows. I think it's a great shade for any look. 

 

copper // This is a classic "Annabel" shade; it's a copper shade mixed with a bit of rose gold. It's a fantastic color and it looks good all over the lid. Like all of these shades, copper blends very easily, and I think that this kind of color would look amazing on almost every skin tone. 

toasty // This shade is very similar to nudecomer, but a bit darker, and it is slightly more mauve than nudecomer. I think that this shadow would show up more on those with darker skin tones, but I also think that this shade is great for blending and smudging on the lower lash line. I don't think this is a centerstage shadow, but I think that its great for helping other colors stand out and look better on the lids. It's hard to find these kinds of colors, and I like this shadow so much! I think blending nudecomer and toasty would make for a super blended, beautiful smokey rose eye. 

damsel // This is the shade that really sold me on this palette. While all of the other shadows are great, I really hadn't seen a color like this in the drugstore, and it really stood out to me as a shadow that would be incredibly flattering. What I will say about this shadow, however, is that it isn't the most pigmented when applied to the lid, so I would recommend pressing it on with your fingers and blending it out softly with a fluffy brush. I like the effect that it gives, but if you want a bright magenta shadow this one may not be for you. But if you want to test out something different without going crazy, damsel is the shadow to try. 


cream soda // I think that this shade is perfect for popping just under the brow for a easy highlight. It is one of those shadows that almost looks wet; the shimmer isn't noticeable, but you end up with a really fantastic glow. I also think that this shadow would look lovely on the inner corners. I prefer a deeper shade on the lid, but if you like the light pink colors on the eyes cream soda or moon mist would be perfect. At first glance these shadows look almost identical, but they are so different when applied and they are the perfect finishing touches to any eye look. 

choccy // I was so surprised by how unique this shade was; I was expecting a classic shimmery dark brown, but this color is unlike anything I have in my collection. It is a richly-pigmented, cool-toned dark brown, but there are strong undertones of purple and grey that make this shade really beautiful on the eyes. You could just smudge it in the outer corners, but I think this would look incredible all over the lid for a rich smokey eye, with moon mist in the inner corners and toasty blended up to the brow bone. There are so many ways to wear this shade, and I think it is a standout in this palette. 

plumtious // I always love a good plum shade, but this one is especially nice because it blends so easily and looks purple on the eyes when packed on, not black like many other dark purple shades do. This is the perfect addition to any look to create a lot more depth and add a little extra glamour. 

smoulder // Finding a matte navy blue shadow from the drugstore, that isn't awful, is almost impossible, so finding this shadow was a really nice surprise. While I definitely do not think that this is best navy blue shadow out there, I like this color because it isn't super intense, but it blends really well to intensify a smokey eye and it is easy to work with; sometimes dark shades are too pigmented, and they end up making a mess and you look like a panda. This shadow won't cause you that pain! I think it's the perfect addition to this palette. 


Overall, I think this is a really nice palette. Is it the perfect palette? Maybe not. If you are look for intense pigmentation, or incredibly long-lasting color, I don't think this is the palette for you. But I think this palette is great for everyday wear; you can mix neutral shadows with some of the more interesting shades in this palette to mix up your everyday look and get you out of a makeup rut. It's easy to travel with and has a lot of options. And the price is fantastic! For twenty dollars you can get a fantastic palette that does rival much the more expensive options. I would highly recommend this palette!

Have you found the perfect palette?

xx BB