August 16, 2013

Back to School Beauty

Hello There!

Today I thought I would share some beauty tips for your first day back. I am not looking forward to wearing makeup everyday, but I decided to put on "my daily face" and show you my tips for keeping it flawless all day.


Base::

I started with a light moisturizer to keep my skin from getting oily throughout the day and to keep  dry patches from showing through my makeup. I used the Boots Expert Sensitive Light Moisturizer before applying my base.

I then applied a full coverage concealer under my eyes and on major blemishes. I don't like to use a foundation when I go to school because I find it to be too thick and throughout the day it looks cake-y. I applied a small amount of my Maybelline Cover Stick concealer in medium beige using my Real Techniques expert face brush, which is one of my favorite brushes for applying foundation and concealer.

To finish my face, I used MAC Studio Fix powder foundation in NC20 to set my concealer and cover up any other discoloration. I love this powder because it gives the coverage of a liquid foundation without feeling heavy or getting cake-y. Plus it is really mattifying, so I do not need to top my makeup with a finishing powder that might make my face look powder-y and fake. While this powder is on the more expensive side, it takes very little product to give full coverage, so this foundation will last you ages. Plus the compact comes with a mirror and sponge, so you can pop it in your backpack and take it for on-the-go touch-ups.

Eyes::

I start by using an eyelid primer to smooth out my lids and keep my shadows in place all day. Nothing looks uglier than creasing shadows! The one I am using is the ELF eyelid primer, which is sheer and helps smooth and blur the veins on your lids. Bonus: it's only one dollar, which makes it a complete steal and just as good as the more expensive alternatives. 

For shadow, I wanted to pick a palette that is natural but also inexpensive. The one that I chose is one my favorites from Wet N Wild, called "Walking on Eggshells." It has three gorgeous shimmer-y shades that are very pigmented and blend beautifully. I placed the pink-y peach shade on the lid, and then placed the white shadow with a slight gold shimmer in the inner corner. The light shades brighten the eyes and open the eyes. When you have gotten little sleep you want to do everything you can to make you look like you got all your beauty sleep! I wanted to create a little shadow in my crease, so I placed the brown crease shade with gold shimmer in the outer corner and blended the shade inward. The overall look is really light and pretty, and not too heavy for school and everyday. 

I skipped liner because I wanted to keep the look light, so I went straight to mascara. I wanted to use a mascara that gave a lot of length and made the lashes look fluttery and beautiful. I used the Maybelline Lash Discovery because it makes your lashes look super long, and does not flake or smudge. I also put mascara on the lower lashes to open up my eyes.


Face::

I have little time in the morning, so I skipped bronzer and highlighter and went straight to blush. I like to use cream blush because it gives the glow that a highlighter would give. I also love the finish of cream blush because it does not too heavy for school and gives a look that is "lit from within" and fresh faced. Cream blush also looks a lot more natural than a powder formula. The blush that I chose is from Philosophy, and it's a bright pink shade with no shimmer called "Look on the Bright Side."

Lips::

While I do love a bright lip, for many a bold lip color can be too high maintenance for school. So for a lip color I chose a light gloss that would give shine and a touch of color. You could really choose any gloss for this look, but the one that I chose is from Revlon's Super Lustrous gloss range, and it is called "Pink Whisper." I love the formula of this gloss because it is smooth and pigmented, and glides on the lips without feeling sticky. While this range is now discontinued, you can find a similar color in their new range or in their Color Burst formulation. 

I love all these products because they are hassle-free, and create a fresh-faced look that is perfect for school. 

What are some of your favorite beauty products for school?

xx BB