July 23, 2014

maybelline color show polish | all about nails

Hello There!

I figured I would finish my "week" about nail polish by telling you my thoughts on the Maybelline Color Show polishes. I have three polishes from the range, including one of their polka dot polishes, and the range has recently expanded to include a lot more glitters and the design of the bottle has also recently changed. In any case, I picked up two summer-y shades and a fun top coat!


poolside:

I bought this shade from their limited edition collection a while ago when I was in love with soft light blue colors and I was on the hunt for the perfect baby blue polish. The Maybelline Color Show range is inexpensive, which is great because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a trendy color. Nevertheless, this polish was a bit of a let down. It is so sheer that you have to apply at least three coats to get it somewhat opaque. On the nail wheel in the picture below I applied three thick coats to make it opaque, but on my actual nails I think it would be a bit gloopy. I think the color is fantastic, but the opacity was a bit of a bummer. 

sweet clementine:

Again, a bit of a let down. Both of the plain, creme-finish shades have turned out to be a disappointment because they were so sheer. The upside, however, is that if you like candy-sheer finish polishes, I would highly recommend checking out the range. Another plus is that the color, when opaque, is a bright, vibrant, orange that seriously screams summer. 

clearly spotted:

This type of polish became so trendy about six months ago, and I wanted to pick up a polish like this to see what all the hype was about. Overall, I am really pleased with this polish! For me, glitters can be disappointing when it's mostly clear polish and not much glitter. However, this polish (which is round polish flakes in a clear top coat ) has a great flake to clear top coat ratio, and overall gives a really cool effect to the nails.


Overall, I would say I am "comme ci comme ca" about this range. While there are so many cool shades in the collection, the colors are not very opaque. Another thing to note is that each polish is about 4 dollars, but is .3 ounces, which is about half the normal amount of any polish. Would I buy the polishes again? No. But if you want some cool colors without investing a ton of money in some funky shades, this collection might be worth checking out. 

What are your thoughts on the Maybelline Color Show polishes?

xx BB