July 25, 2015

looking forward [& 3 year bloggiversary]

hello there!

I thought that, amidst my graduation and my transition to a very new and exciting chapter of my life, I would talk about a few of my goals for the future and a few changes I plan on making. Some are good, some are bad. Consider this a bookmark post in my life, that hopefully I will look back to to remind myself of the plans I made when I was a hopeful, somewhat optimistic university freshman. 


In the past year, I have met some of the most amazing people and made incredible friends. For those of you who were like me, and were so sure that friends could not be made in high school and that you was destined to be a lone wolf, there is hope; I love being alone, but I have people in my life who respect that I like to be alone, and who are there if I need them. Isn't that incredible? How wonderful it is to know that there are people in my life who sincerely care about me in ways that I never thought were possible. I am one of those people who is an open book, but rarely lets people in. This year, I can confidently say that I have friends that I know will be in my life for the long haul, through school and boys and fights and life. Let's be real, I never wanted to be friends with the cool party kids, but I always tried to be friendly in the hopes of possibly fitting in. I will let you in on a secret: you don't have to be nice to everyone. It's okay to have your opinions about people and their attitudes; as long as you aren't mean, you can determine who you want in your life. I think that's so important to learn in high school. I have always preferred a small group of friends, who are kind and smart and make me a better person. Keep those friends close; they are hard to find. Quick tip: when you graduate, give your best friends something that you can both have and share among each other, like a friendship necklace or ring; not only is it adorable to have something matching, but it brings you together with your friends in unexplainable ways, and keeps you close as you move on to college and enter new chapters of your life. If you want to keep the amazing friends you met in high school, you have to put in the effort to keep them around. It's not always easy, but it will be worth it. 

In all the mania of graduating and becoming so close with my friends, I also found a human male who wants to spend time withe me; it's legitimately a miracle. I spent so many years being hung up on the idea that having a man in my life was a necessity, not an addition to my life that could help me learn important lessons and make me happy. Ironically, once I stopped frantically searching for someone to be in my life, someone came along. I have learned so many things in the short time that I have been in a relationship (which may be an entirely different post for another time) but one of the most important lessons I learned was to not let the relationship change me or get the best of me. I realized that waiting for my significant other put my life on hold; if you continue being you and living your life as you normally do, your partner will follow suit. Be you, and don't apologize for it. A relationship should compliment your life, not take away from it. And as for looking forward? I can't predict the future, but my advice to those who also choose to be in relationships before college is to enjoy the summer and make some good memories and not think about long-term. Keep your expectations for summer low and your standards high, and enjoy the time you have together. That will guarantee an amazing summer.    

I am excited to start school and move across the country to Washington D.C. The move is scary, but I know that the fear will only motivate me to work harder to achieve the dreams I have written so many college essays about. For me, moving to the east coast was the easiest way for me to start over; a fresh start only seemed possible to me if I was in an entirely new place. I know I can follow my passion anywhere, but I could only imagine myself in a city for the next four years of my life.

College has been exciting, but also really daunting. Sometimes when I get nervous or overwhelmed I tend to procrastinate because I don't want to think about it, but one of my hopes for university is that it will teach me how to face problems head-on and fix them quickly.

Independence is something that excites me; I am very anxious to move out of my childhood home and start the part of my life where I make decisions for myself, and I get to be very selfish. But through the process of figuring out what I want to do with my life and seeing my sister be independent in her own home has made me understand why I should be so grateful to my parents. Yeah, they are mostly smothering and overbearing, but they are also generous and understanding. Advice to other new college kids: be grateful for the free fresh fruit and toilet paper! I was only out of my house for a few days and craved fresh veggies badly. On a college budget good food is seriously rare. I am so thrilled to be going on an adventure and becoming more self-reliant, but I am going to miss all the free stuff.

Since I confirmed my move to the wonderful District of Columbia this fall, I have been thinking about this blog. This blog has been my home and my safe haven for the last three years. I remember starting this blog in July of 2012, and thinking I was going to be a major blogger superstar. Although this is certainly not the case, this small part of the internet has given me a chance to express myself. I will always be so thankful for that. Unfortunately, I am not sure what the fate of this blog will be in the coming years. Would I love to continue writing and taking photos and sharing my slightly ridiculous obsession about all things maquillage that has consumed my life for the last three years? Absolutely. But I know that with a new chapter of life comes a hectic schedule and new passions and obsessions. I don't know how easy it will be to document my life on this blog and take photos with a college roommate and new friends who know nothing about this corner of the world wide web. At the end of the day, I can't make a promise that I will continue to blog and post videos on my Youtube channel, but I also won't confirm that I won't. In the past year I have learned to "go with the flow," so I am applying the same mentality to the continuation of this blog. We may just have to see.

I don't know what I would have done without this blog. Thank you for a wonderful 3 years.

xx BriticaBeauty