August 2, 2012

Battle of the Mattes: Rimmel vs Lancome

Hello There!

Today is another review and comparison. I am always on the hunt for the perfect matifying powder for my oily skin, and I have now come across two great products. However, they have very different prices. So let's get into the review!

Lancome Dual Finish Powder Makeup:

First, I would just like to say this is not really a powder; it is marketed as a powder foundation. That being said, I use it as a powder when I want a bit more coverage, and I find that because of the way I use it this product is comparable to the Rimmel powder. That out of the way, I really love this powder. It keeps me matte, and to me, that it one of the most important qualities in a powder. Plus, it's small with a mirror inside that makes it fantastic for travel. I do have two small problems with this product: one, it can get cake-y. If you apply too much, like I tend to do, you may end up looking like a cake face. However, if you blot before dusting a small amount on your face, it will give you a matte enough finish that is not cake-y and still looks natural. Nevertheless, I have to be very careful so I don't feel like I am wearing a mask. For reference, I am in the shade "beige soleil"and there are over sixteen shades to choose from, which is fantastic for the darker skinned. The other small problem is the price. This pretty little powder will run you $36.50. Yikes! While I really enjoy this powder makeup, I don't think I would buy it again. It is just so expensive! I only have a small amount left, which I will use sparingly, but otherwise it's bye-bye Lancome. We've had some good times. But don't fear! Dry your eyes! I have found an awesome alternative:




Rimmel London "Stay Matte" Powder:
I was so excited to find this powder, because it had an amazing price! While it's originally about $6.00, I found it for just $4.50! What a deal! Just for reference, I usually blot my face about two times each school day, from eight to five. This powder is magical! I only have to blot once, and my face stays matte for up to five hours after applying. One thing to note: this powder come in a small range of colors, and, although there is a translucent powder, I know that it can sometimes look ashy on much darker skin tones. I am the shade 004 sandstorm. I think this a real competitor for the Lancome powder. Additioonally, you get a lot more product for a LOT less money! I feel like I don't get cake-y as easily as I do with the Lancome powder, and a light dusting of this will keep me looking natural, not shiny.




I really do think Rimmel is giving Lancome a run for it's money. What are drugstore "competitors" you have found?

xx BB