November 18, 2012

...And I'll Cry If I Want To

Hello There!

Today is my birthday. Therefore, everyone believes that I should be ecstatic and have millions of things planned. But, honestly, I don't think my birthday is the greatest day, and I wish I didn't have to pretend to be happy for everyone else's sake. If you don't like "downer" posts, then click away. I am in one of those moods. 

Birthdays stink, and for one reason. You always have high expectations and it never turns out to be the way you had dreamed. It's like New Year's Eve: you plan for a week which party to got to, you pick out a fun outfit, and you psych yourself up for what you think will be the best night of your life. But the day before your friend cancels, and the sparkly dress doesn't look as awesome as you had thought, and the party is not half as amazing as you thought it would be. It's not as though someone told you that everything would be perfect; it's all in your head. In the end, it's just another day. And so is my birthday. I love spending it with family and friends, but I always end up feeling sad and disappointed.  

Every year I tell myself it will be a bad day, and I have found it's better than I thought. So if you keep getting your hopes and keep getting let down, just remember that your birthday should be a day to relax and enjoy doing nothing. Do what you want to do: sleep, paint your nails, or sit on your bum and watch TV. I know it sounds sad and silly, but if you are like me, it makes what could be a really depressing day a "me" day. Don't be afraid to be selfish!

I hope it helps those who feel rubbish on their day of birth. 


What do you do on your birthday?

xx BB